Records within the NHS context are a valuable resource because of the information that they contain. Information is only useful if it is correctly recorded in the first place, is regularly updated, and is easily accessible when needed. Information is essential to the delivery of high quality evidence-based healthcare.
Effective records management ensures that such information is properly managed and available to:
- Support patient care and continuity of care
- Support evidence-based clinical practice
- Support sound administrative and managerial decision-making
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements
- Assist clinical and other audits
- Support improvement in clinical effectiveness
- Support effective research
The Trust has recently agreed a Corporate Records Strategy and Pollicy which complies with the NHS Code of Practice and covers the creation, management, storage and retention of records. It is listed in the Information Governance policies and procedures.