Drinking causes damage you can't see...
|Lower risk||No more than 3-4 units a day on a regular* basis||No more than 2-3 units a day on a regular* basis|
|Increasing risk||More than 3-4 units a day on a regular* basis||More than 2-3 units a day on a regular* basis|
|Higher risk||More than 50 units a week (or more than 8 units a day) on a regular* basis||More than 35 units per week (or more than 6 units a day) on a regular* basis|
* = drinking this amount everyday or most days of the week
Effects of increased risk
- Men are 1.8 to 2.5 times as likely to get cancer of the mouth, pharynx or larynx (parts of the neck and throat), whilst women are 1.2 to 1.7 times as likely.
- Women are 1.2 times as likely to get breast cancer.
- Men are 2 more likely to develop cirrhosis of the liver & women 1.7 times as likely.
- Men are 1.8 times as likely to develop high blood pressure, with women 1.3 times as likely.