Audiology and Audiovestibular Medicine for children and young people
The Paediatric Audiology and Audiovestibular Medicine (AVM) department provides a full diagnostic assessment service for patients with hearing and balance problems including:
- Glue ear
- Concerns about a child's hearing
- Monitoring children with permanent hearing losses or a family history of hearing loss
- Making sure children have normal hearing if there is a delay in their speech and language development (including children with syndromes, autistic spectrum disorder or ADHD)
- Offer local support for children requiring hearing aids
- Make sure children of high risk (e.g. infants who were very ill) have no hearing loss even though they passed the Newborn Hearing Screening
- Hyperacusis/increased sensitivity to sounds
- Advise on for those who have normal hearing levels, but difficulties understanding what is being said
The Paediatric Audiology and AVM department also sees patients with other hearing problems or balance difficulties and if necessary will arrange for other investigations into the reasons for it either at a local hospital or via our tertiary referrals centres.
The Paediatric Audiology and AVM department is provided from community settings. The main bases are Edgware Community Hospital, St Michael's Hospital and Oak Lane Children's Health Centre in East Finchley. The Oak Lane facilities were completely refurbished and extended in 2008 and now offer first class testing facilities for all children and young people in 2 paediatric sound proofed rooms, and other facilitating rooms. All facilities provide the full range of all routine equipment.
The Children and Young People Hearing Services Working Group consists of professionals from education, social care, health, voluntary bodies and parents. We are currently trying to get young people to join us or to voice their views at www.hearingbarnet.org.uk.
Paediatric Audiology and AVM, Edgware Community Hospital, Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgware, Middlesex HA8 0AD
Tel: 020 8732 6224
Fax: 020 8732 6474
Paediatric Audiology, Cedar House, St Michael's Hospital, Gater Drive, Enfield EN2 0JB
Tel: 020 8375 2917/2967
If you have any concerns about the Paediatric Audiology and Audiovestibular Medicine Service please contact Dr Sebastian Hendricks MSc (GMC 452 79 52), Consultant Audiovestibular Physician and Paediatrician, Lead for Paediatric Audiology and Audiovestibular Medicine
Tel: 020 8732 6224
“Every step of the treatment was explained. My opinion was asked and respected. I could not have received better treatment anywhere else.”More patient comments from NHS Choices
“Quality of care, sympathy and sensitivity demonstrated by everyone from the ward manager to the cleaners.”More patient comments from NHS Choices