Edgware Birth Centre
The Edgware Birth Centre (EBC) is located within Edgware Community Hospital. The EBC is a small home from home maternity unit, which is staffed by midwives.
The EBC offers you a relaxed and friendly environment for the birth of your baby. All forms of pain relief are available with the exception of an epidural.
The EBC offers:
- Full range of antenatal care
- Antenatal workshops including infant feeding, active birth and waterbirth
- 6 ensuite birth rooms/postnatal bedrooms where you and your partner will usually be able to remain for the duration of your stay
- 3 birthing pools for you to labour/birth in. Water can help as a form of pain relief in labour (70% of women who have their babies in the birth centre use water at some stage in their labour)
- Birth stools to help you with an upright birth as well as bean bags and birth balls
You are cared for by midwives who are supported by midwifery assistants.
You are more likely to have a normal birth
You are less likely to need intervention
You are less likely to have vaginal or perineal tears
You are more likely to be satisfied with your care
You are less likely to need pain relieving drugs for labour
30% of women in pregnancy are likely to be transferred to a Consultant Led Unit
12% of women are likely to be transferred by ambulance to a Consultant Led Unit in labour
You can book to have your baby at the EBC from the 12th week and until the 36th week of pregnancy provided you have received antenatal care elsewhere. However, if you are booked at Barnet Hospital you can transfer your care to Edgware Birth Centre until the 39th week. You can call us direct, you do not need a letter from your GP.
For further information and to arrange a visit please contact 020 8732 6777 or 020 8732 6669.
Tours of the Edgware Birth Centre run every Tuesday and Friday evening at 8.30pm and every Saturday and Sunday at 10.30am and 14.30pm. Please call us to book a place.
How to book to have your baby with us
If you want to book to have your baby at Edgware Birth Centre, you can do this directly by contacting us on the above number or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Quality of care, sympathy and sensitivity demonstrated by everyone from the ward manager to the cleaners.”More patient comments from NHS Choices
“During my three days stay, I didn't meet one unfriendly employee. Everyone was so experienced, nice and helpful, which made the experience of giving birth less stressful.”More patient comments from NHS Choices